Abeyta Nelson Injury Law is proud to be a long-time supporter of United Way of Central Washington. We were honored to be chosen for the Campaign Chair’s Award for the recently-completed 2016-17 campaign.
This award, chosen by Campaign Co-Chairs David and Amanda McKinney, is given in recognition of outstanding contribution to United Way’s efforts to raise funds in support of its mission to make a positive difference in people’s lives, creating a stronger community for all of us.
President and CEO of UWCW, Neiri Carrasco, said, “United Way of Central Washington continues to work closely with Abeyta Nelson Injury Law to mobilize individuals through workplace giving campaigns, volunteerism, board leadership, and grant making – all in the spirit of creating a better life for their employees, customers, and our community.” Carrasco added, “Developing a long-term strategic approach with our most valued corporate partners helps United Way of Central Washington’s collective ability to improve our community and transform lives.”
Each year, United Way partner non-profit agencies serve over 100,000 people, helping more than one in three people in Yakima and Kittitas counties. Help comes in many forms, for people from newborns to senior citizens.
The 2016-17 campaign raised more than $1.3 million. That money will go toward supporting 53 non-profit organizations with efficient and effective programs that have been vetted by a group of 70 community volunteers.
All of the funds raised stay local. United Way is efficient, with 79 cents of each dollar raised going to support local people in the areas of education, health, and basic needs. Of the balance, 10.9 cents goes to administrative costs and 10.1 cents is used for fund raising.
All contributions to United Way, of which more than 80 percent comes from individuals, are 100% tax deductible.
Abeyta Nelson has a long history of supporting United Way:
- Abeyta Nelson Injury Law has been the leading contributor among all law firms and lawyers for the last 15 years.
- More than 95% of our staff contributes to United Way.
- All five Abeyta Nelson lawyers are Pillars donors.
- David Abeyta and Terry Abeyta received the “Co-campaigners of the Year” award in 2014-15 for heading up a record-setting Pillars major donor campaign.
- Lisa Kapuza, wife of attorney John Kapuza, served as Pillars chair for the 2015-16 campaign.
- Attorney Greg Lighty and his wife Cathy Lighty are serving as 2017-18 Pillars co-chairs.
- Terry Abeyta served on the United Way Board for six years and Greg Lighty is now in his second year on the board.
- John Kapuza, Greg Lighty, David Abeyta, office manager Denielle Beaulaurier, and Terry Abeyta have all served as Loaned Executives.
- Denielle Beaulaurier has served on the Community Investment Committee.
- Abeyta Nelson attorneys have served many years as division chairs for the United Way Professional Division for Attorneys.
Abeyta Nelson believes in giving back to our community. We encourage everyone to support the 2017-18 campaign to make Central Washington a better place to live and raise our families. Join us as proud supporters of United Way of Central Washington. Learn more at uwcw.org.
-blog written by Attorney Terry Abeyta, Abeyta Nelson Injury Law