History of United Way of Central Washington

United Way of Central Washington, in some form, has been around since 1955. The organization started as a Community Chest, which turned into United Good Neighbors. In 1973 we became United Way of Yakima County (UWYC) and remained under that name until 2009, when UWYC merged with the United Way of Kittitas County, forming United Way of Central Washington. Throughout the transitions, we have remained autonomous and responsive to the local community needs. Volunteers still serve as directors, conduct annual campaigns, and make all funding decisions.